Saturday, April 28, 2012

Feeling Good at the Alamo!

Life has become VERY different since learning of my Celiac dilemma.  It makes meetings, conferences, social situations and travel just a tad bit difficult.  Wait...that's putting it too nicely.  What I really want to say is - it's a big fat pain in the arse!

I'm visiting my peeps for the weekend in San Antonio - nothing beats meeting half way...actually it's closer for me :)  I've been very apprehensive since arriving and even packed my own little gluten free snacks- avocados, and fruit, and rice cakes, and turkey pepperoni... well you get it.  I'm actually surprised they didn't have security at the airport confiscate all my food!  But if my Mom could make it on with scissors I could definitely try and bring food!  I mean what am I going to do--crack you with a rice cake?!

So, I make it in (with all my food) and after cruising the beautiful River Walk we head over for dinner at Biga on the Banks.  This folks, is why I am currently sitting in the Business Center at our hotel blogging because I can't stop talking about how wonderful our service was! And more importantly, I did not get sick!



Biga on the Banks, San Antonio
 As soon as we were seated, I talked our waitress Gigi about the gluten free options. She politely assured me that I could order anything and that the Chef will make it gluten free.  They do not want to limit their guests to a 'gluten-free entree list', but instead have the chef prepare what you'd like to eat and meet your dietary needs. At this point I was feeling REAL skeptical.

She went above and beyond to reassure my fear of being glutenized. She even asked if it was ok to bring a bread basket to the table for my Mom & Terry.  I'm ok looking at the bread (not really) and I certainly do not want to deprive others from the wonderfully smelling gluten basket...I mean bread basket :) But it was a little tough for this prior breadaholic.



The really great smelling enemy
 Mmmm...doesn't that look good?! To help distract me from the bread, I ordered a Chopin & Tonic with extra lime.  Chopin has a great potato vodka for us overly sensitive celiacs. I liked it so much I decided to drink my Mom's and ordered her a Bellini instead!


Chopin Potato Vodka

Gigi came back over to take our order and was great at assuring my neurotic self again that all would be ok.  I mean come on...I'm on vacay.  The last thing I want is to be laid up glutenized while the Fiesta parades are taking place!

I decided on the Pan Roasted Texas Redfish.  Here is a pic of what the menu detailed~

Pan Roasted Texas Redfish

Again- the Chef will take whatever you order and create a gluten free version for you.  Yes-- without using glutenized utensils, or pans, or dishes.  Because you know I asked!  Here is a pic of my dish~


Never knew gluten free looked so good!

The only thing missing was the roasted poblano (which is why I wanted the dish to begin with) but it is lightly dusted with flour which is a big no-no.  Let me just say- OMG!  This was the best meal I have eaten since being diagnosed with this crap a month ago.  And even without the poblano, it was seriously DELISH!

Gigi brought over the dessert menu and graciously informed me that she would happily make me a G-free berry dish with fresh whipped cream. You have to know that I would have much rather eaten the cobbler Terry ordered, but it just isn't gonna happen! 


Berries and Cream

So here's to some very big props for Biga!  It was a super nice place, with great attention to detail and the conversation could not have been better :)  Now-- let me get back to the Fiesta!

No comments: