Monday, April 16, 2012

My Dearest Coffee, I Miss You.

For those of you who know me personally and just let out a big "HUH?!" go ahead and close your mouth and keep reading.  I hope you feel my pain. No... I KNOW you'll feel my pain.

Gluten.  It's in my food, it's in my makeup and it's in my shampoo. It's attempting to destroy my social life and shopping excursions. Not to mention future travel.  But you couldn't stop there though could ya Evil-G?!   (Yes, I'm talking about gluten as if its a villain). You couldn't leave well enough alone.  You had to take it 'there'.  You messed with my COFFEE!

Here is the video that did it for me:  Coffee and Gluten Sensitivity

I seriously wanted to cry.  Actually, I did get a frog in my throat. Ok, maybe my eyes watered a little. The short of it: the protein in gluten mirrors coffee so you suffer the same reaction.  It really depends how sensitive you are and it turns out that for whatever reason...I'm hypersensitive. And I have no choice to avoid it because I have to heal my stomach.

This is big. I'm gathering that you don't realize the magnitude of this people! I'm the person that shows up to BBQ's and potlucks with coffee creamer!   I love coffee.  I actually have a personal relationship with my Keurigs.  (Yes, that would be plural).  I also happen to know where Starbies are located throughout the State of California and where they are in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Nevada.  It's what greets me in the morning (besides my husband) and is my dessert at night (my husband will think he needs to be in parentheses after the dessert part).

I find comfort in the smell, taste and temperature of coffee and I find it to be a must-have accessory when I am out and about. Coffee is a warm conversation that brought a smile to my face.

BROUGHT...past tense.

So what do I do? What I do best.  Get my happy arse on the internet and try and find something, anything, that tastes like coffee.  I even head out to my local Teavana Store and embarrassed my daughter by asking the guy, "Do you sell tea that tastes like coffee"?  Now she thought it was insulting that I ask them this. But, his reply? Wait for it-------"Yes, we do".  YEAH!

 Promenade Teavana
We spent more time than she would have liked in a "foo-foo tea store" but desperate times call for desperate measures.  He kindly brewed us up some Java-Vana Mate tea that boasts 'the same amount of caffeine as coffee'.

Gluten Free JavaVana Tea

It wasn't bad.  It wasn't coffee, but it would definitely give me the kick I needed in the morning.  It was much stronger than the Celestial Seasoning Morning Thunder I had previously found which, by the way,  lacked any or all 'thunder'.  The next morning (after I attempted the brewing contraption and spilled it all over myself) I remade the $20 tea (oh, did I forget to mention that it's a bit pricey but for the taste of coffee I bought it) and I added some coconut vanilla creamer hoping it would get that creamy coffee taste.

It did, sorta.

It's definitely wishful thinking on my part, but crap!  It's gonna have to do for now!  At least until I get my 'coffee alternative' I ordered in the mail.

(As a note ~ Teavana teas are now all gluten free)

No comments: