Monday, May 28, 2012

Comfort Zones are Overrated!

I poisoned myself this nice Holiday weekend.  Not intentionally of course.  It's just that I got comfortable in my eating and when one gets comfortable, one gets sick.

It was completely innocent and in reality it was an all Gfree dinner made by me.    Here's what I had:


A baked potato with shredded chicken, pepper jack cheese, sour cream and a little poison butter.

First symptom- massive headache.  I mean like migraine status on crack.  It felt like my head was going to pop off of my body.  Second, followed the 'unmentionables' (these are bathroom symptoms I will spare you from) and then lastly fatigue.

I racked my brain all night trying to figure out the culprit.   My daughter, bless her heart, jumps on the Internet while holding the sour cream looking up the ingredients. Nothing.  Everything was safe.  

So what do you do when you can think of nothing to blame?  You blame your husband of course :) 


Me:  "Steve-- I think you had gluten on your lips when you kissed me." 
Steve:  "Sure Roxanne, as usual just blame me."

Needless to say, I went to bed (half believing it was the kiss) and was up most of the night in the bathroom. *Yawn

This morning it was like an epiphany hit me.  As soon as I opened my eyes my very first thought was--- IT WAS THE BUTTER!!

REWIND...That morning I made my Non-Gfree 5 yr. old some toast.  I used a knife and cut off a sliver of butter and then went back for another.  When I cut the second piece, what was on that knife?  Crumbs from the toast (aka poison).

FAST-FORWARD...I take out that same stick of butter, take a healthy chunk and mash it into my potato.  

I've just contaminated my entire dinner.

That's all it takes folks. A little bit of toast crumbs to ruin your night.  It's ridiculous to think about.  I mean, who would believe something like a flippin' stick of butter with tiny crumbs would have me in misery for hours?  And I mean HOURS!  My Non-Gfree friends would say, "No way---just a few crumbs?"  Yes way, just a few crumbs. 

So now I break out of my comfort zone and go back to evaluating EVERYTHING I eat and drink.  My health can't afford absent-minded mistakes like that! 




2 comments:

ArianaR said...

I just wanted to tell you how proud I am of you!! It's inspiring how you can just change your lifestyle and eating habits with a snap of a finger and it's been and still is a great adventure everytime we go some where lol there's never a dull moment with you mom!!! Welp I love ya, Ari:)

Ellen Rose said...

I don't know if you remember me but I'm the celiac who helped you out at the salad place at the Deptford Mall. I've enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to more, check my blog out as well. http://ellenensminger.wordpress.com/