Friday, April 13, 2012

Gluten, go away!

I've been Gluten Free for two weeks now.  In that time I've read three books and countless web pages.  I know more about gluten and Celiac disease than I thought I'd ever know.

And what do I know the best?  That gluten is in just about EVERYTHING.  Not just food (think bread, cookies, pizza, pasta) but also some lotions, toothpaste, deodorants, shampoo, conditioner, hair products, medication, spices, and makeup (post coming next on my makeup drama).

For those of you passing by and wondering what I'm talking about and what gluten is, here's a quick breakdown:

Gluten is a protein that is found in grains such as wheat, barley and rye.  A gluten free diet is used to treat people with Celiac disease.  When gluten is consumed, it causes inflammation in the small intestine and brings on a plethora of problems.  The disease cannot be cured, but can be controlled by a strict diet.  And most importantly, it's not a food allergy.  Celiac is an auto-immune disease and shouldn't be taken lightly.

I struggle everyday with this crap. But I'm positive that it will get better.

No comments: