Friday, April 13, 2012

Glutenized by Cross-Contamination

FEAR.
Who would have ever thought that I'd be scared of food?  Well, it all started with Claim Jumper.  I was so excited (insert yeah!) to find that this gluten thing may not be so bad, right? WRONG.  Ya see just because someone offers a 'Gluten Free' menu does not mean that they take measures against cross-contamination.  

Now let me be honest. When I first read that a crouton could contaminate an entire salad I thought it was the silliest thing ever! Seriously??  But that's how Karma catches me.  I decided to order GF Chicken and Veggie Kabobs.  Seems safe right?  NOT!  Ten minutes after eating, I felt horrible.  Symptoms returning at a fast rate, stomach distended, bubble guts and a headache.  That quick. It was then that I read in very small print on the menu, "Cannot guarantee against cross-contamination."

Ok, then why the hell do you bother to offer a GF Menu?!  I don't know what was worse.  Being glutenized or realizing that eating out is not going to be as easy as I thought.

No comments: